Making choices for your roofing system solution has a number of different considerations to evaluate before making a final decision. Make the right decision and it could pay dividends, make the wrong decision and it could cost you money in the long run.
Taking time to learn about the two different shingle solutions on the market – asphalt and fiberglass – will help a homeowner choose the best possible product at the best possible price
The pros and cons of asphalt shingles:
- Asphalt shingles are extremely durable and are affordable when stacked up against other shingle solutions and some asphalt shingles can last up to two decades
- Due to the process used to create an asphalt shingle, they are extremely water repellant and the shingles withstand the elements well.
- Asphalt shingles have a tar coating that protects the shingle from UV rays
- On the downside, the paper content of asphalt shingles make them more susceptible to damage due to fire
The pros and cons of fiberglass shingles:
- Lack of paper in the fiberglass shingle make them more fire-retardant and heat-resistant
- The durability of the fiberglass shingle will extend the roofing solution life as they can function at high levels under the most extreme circumstances. Even if the roof has no ventilation, fiberglass shingles won’t curl or buckle under stress
- Warranties for high-end fiberglass shingles can run up to 50 years, surpassing asphalt shingle warranties
- The one knock on fiberglass shingles is that they don’t function well in extreme cold climates. The shingles become brittle when exposed to extreme temperatures and start to crack and that leads to degradation of the roofing system causing premature failure.
At AM Roofing Solutions we use only the industry standard in fiberglass shingles and that is Owens Corning. Owens Corning pioneered fiberglass shingles and introduced them to the market in the late 1930’s.
Our commitment to excellence and dedication to quality workmanship in the roofing marketplace has not gone unnoticed. Owens Corning has recognized us as a Platinum Preferred Contractor and that designation comes by invitation only for only the best of best in the roofing industry.
We have a wide variety of fiberglass shingles to use for your roofing solution that are made by Owens Corning in a different colours and types of warranties.
The TruDefinition Designer Colours Collection comes in seven different styles, a 10-year limited warranty, they are vibrant in their colour scheme, can withstand 130 mph winds, are algae resistant for 10 years and they are laminated.
The TruDefinition Shingle series comes in nine different colours, is bold and vibrant in colour, has a 10-year limited warranty, can withstand 130 mph winds, are algae resistant for 10 years and they are laminated.
The Berkshire Collection comes in five different colours, with a natural slate appearance, a limited 10-year warranty, can withstand 110-130 mph winds, are algae resistant for 15 years and they are laminated.
The Oakridge series comes in seven different colours that are clean, warm and inviting, can withstand 110-130 mph winds, are algae resistant for 10 years and they are laminated.
The Supreme collection of shingles comes in six different colours that provide smooth clean lines, a limited 25-year warranty, can withstand 60 mph wind and they are three-tab shingles.
Trust the experts at AM Roofing Solutions to provide a free, no obligation estimate and consultation. Call us today at 1.877.281.6900.